Quote

Black Lives Matter

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Creative People - Dad's wine

I am very blessed to have lots of creative people in my life.

Whilst my father can handle a sewing machine (and used one to make sleeping bags, tents, various storage bags for equipment etc), used to do his own black and white photography with darkroom development, experimented on tomato varieties in his greenhouse and decided to do a second degree after retiring to keep his brain working.... I am not sharing any of those things.





This is some of Dad's wine, a white on the left and a red on the right. They are leaning up against a fishbowl full of all the corks I have collected over the last 5 and a half years (many of them from Dad's wine).


Dad uses kits of grape juice concentrate which can be bought online and likes to get empty bottles which he will then exchange for full ones. This is a very happy arrangement.
Like any craft it needs materials and equipments and he has gradually got extra bits of kit to improve his output

Any suggestions on what I could do with the corks? I have seen a few craft projects which looked fun. In the meantime I keep the bowl of corks on the bookcase and throw any new ones in there when I open a bottle. Eventually I will have enough for a noticeboard for the kitchen or a funky Christmas decoration!

2 comments:

BetsyV said...

Ruthie:

I took a cork and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I scooped out a tiny circle from one end and glued a tiny super magnet in the end, so it is flush with the cork end. Then I stuck it to my shears, near the point, carefully lined up the cutting edge with a ruler, and marked 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm lines. I use it to cut patterns out when I haven't got regular seam allowances, just the seamlines marked (such as a traced Burda). You do need to stick the thing on the right blade or the lines aren't right.

I use the other half as a needle "cushion". It's great for sewing machine needles, which make too big holes in a regular pin cushion.

SewRuthie said...

Great ideas Betsy thank you!