Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 21 June 2020

Silk and jersey dolman sleeve top

New Look 6420 - Silk and jersey dolman sleeve top
I bought this silk fabric on a sewing weekend in London in July 2010. It is the inspiration for my SWAP colourway so I wanted to include it, but in a simple easy wear garment that suits the new normal.
The jersey was in my stash but bought before lockdown from the local fabric shop.

I picked New Look 6420, and initially made it up as the pattern. I then reshaped it so it came in closer under the arms and in the bust/waist area, flaring back out at the hem.

I also folded the neckband over and stitched it down for a clean finish and narrower neckband.
I finished the hems with a baby hem, as a coverhem hem would be prone to fraying on the woven.
I find the neckband on this is too wide and the overall shape rather too boxy, especially at this tunic length. I may shorten it in future, but reshaped it is much better.

3 comments:

Carol in Denver said...

That's so elegant!

Cherie said...

Ruthie, lovely silk, I’m sure you’re reshaping of the top will work well! Pretty top!

kbenco said...

Its a gorgeous print and makes a very smart top. I'm glad I'm not the only one carefully ekeing out my souvenir fabric from 2010 :)