Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 1 November 2020

Navy and red knit top

This jersey fabric was originally navy and off white, but I decided to dye it with Dylon 'Tulip Red' for a bit more colour.


I was pleased to get the print level across the front, sleeves and back, lining up at the seams.

I chose a bit of the print I liked and cut a wide but short band (so it would hug the neck nicely).

The neckline need quite a bit of unpicking and resewing to have a nice smooth finish, but its worked out well in the end.


I used Butterick 3344 as a starting point. 

- I kept the shoulders, armhole, sleeve cap and sleeve length.

- Widened the sleeves from the underarm to the wrist to allow for full arms. 

- Made the body wider and longer for a relaxed fit rather than negative ease. 

- Cut the neckline so it wasn't as deep.

- Cut a wide neckband, which I stretched to the max to fit the neckline, this means it sits flat against the neck and the folded edge.

- Used the coverhem to finish the hems.

Where fabric permits I am also cutting myself a tube scarf (a bit like a buff with a seam).

This is a piece of knit fabric with a good stretch approx 50cm x 50xm (20" x 20"). I finish the edges on the greatest direction of stretch with the coverhem, then sew up the one seam on the overlocker.

I like these for the different ways you can wear them - snood, ear/nose/mouth cover, hair band, scarf etc.




Here's a picture I found of different ways to wear these tube scarves



1 comment:

Carol in Denver said...

That red is really pretty; good choice!