Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 25 April 2022

Trio of Hyacinth Bralettes

 I've used an adapted version of the The Hyacinth FREE Bralette PDF Sewing Pattern – Ohhh Lulu (ohhhlululingerie.com) to make three peach and cream bralettes for myself.


I made a test version before these ones which came out very badly, but taught me a lot about which of my elastics I could use successfully. (No photo of that one!)

I have modified the patterns and assembly to work with my materials and body.

- first I enlarged the front by scooping it down further to give more bust coverage.

- I used wide stretch lace for the band instead of 1/2" elastic. It sits nicely for me. I stitched this on with a narrow zig zag from the wrong side.

- I used FOE for the front neckline, armholes and straps as it was a good colour match and very stretchy, plus I had loads of it!

- I did the narrow sig zag from the right side, then folded the elastic and stitched again from the right side.

- My straps are not adjustable as I was not able to source the adjusters locally

These bralettes don't give much support, but are very comfortable and being close to my skin tone won't show under light coloured summer tops.


1 comment:

Alison said...

I've never understood why handmade custom bras and bralets *need* adjusters... it makes sense for RTW commercial lingerie, which of necessity has to fit various people that purchase them, but if you are making something to fit yourself, why not just make it to fit? (I have been wearing RTW bras my whole adult life, and once I adjust the straps to fit me, I never again adjust them)