Quote

Black Lives Matter

Wednesday 23 August 2023

Cooling waistcoats from shower curtains

These waistcoats are made from Polyester shower curtains, which is lightweight and copes well with getting slightly wet as the freezer packs defrost.

I made the striped version for myself last year when it was unusually hot here in the UK. I'm not used to the heat and wasn't coping well. I wanted a way to hold freezer packs near to me without damaging my skin, so came up with this simple waistcoat. Just add a freezer pack into each pocket.


After an hour or so the ice packs have defrosted, but it found it cooled me down enough that I was OK for a few hours before I needed to use the waistcoat again.


I used out-of-print New Look 6316 to get the shape for the front and back of my waistcoat (vest), but then cut a V neck.

It's closed with a strip of velcro at the front.

A friend who suffers from hot flushes asked for her own version, so I used a more fun flamingo shower curtain for hers and placed the pockets a bit lower down.




4 comments:

Doctor T Designs said...

This is honestly such a great idea - my mom has issues with the heat but still likes to go outside and be active. I may have to borrow this in the future...

Nadine in NC said...

What a great idea! Depending on the fabric content of your curtain you might also be able to use your vest to hold heated rice or corn bags in the winter. With the need to keep our heating and cooling costs down this is a really good way to maximize our resources. Thank you for sharing!!!

Seattle Sews said...

This is genius! Thank you for posting.

Debbie Cook said...

Brilliant! I wonder how many ice packs I'd need here in Florida? LOL!