Quote

Black Lives Matter

Thursday 27 July 2023

Beige Knit Top - embellish or leave as is?

 I adapted my self drafted (traced from RTW) dropped shoulder knit top pattern to have a slightly less dropped shoulder and a wider sleeve so that I can use it to recut oversized men's tees to a more flattering shape.

(All the normal set in sleeve patterns wouldn't fit on due to the smaller armhole clashing).

To check this would work, I then cut out and sewed it up in a beige knit.


I tried it on at the fit is fine (with the expected drag lines from a dolman sleeve).

Left as it is its a very versatile item for my capsule travel wardrobe - works with everything, can be easily layered, but it is very plain.

At the moment the side seams are only machine tacked together, as I was undecided about some sort of embellishment, which would be easier to do if the front could be laid flat.

Options going through my mind are

0. Leave it as is and wear with the scarf (and other accessories)



1. Self fabric embellishment e.g. lines of gathered fabric 


2. Machine embroidery - the fabric is too thin and would need excessive stabilisation.

3. Hand embroidery e.g. simple design in embroidery floss.


4. Design with fabric paint e.g. stencilled butterfly or other motif done with fabric paint.

5. Beaded embellishment - though needs a firm foundation and may not be very practical for travel.


6. Applique

I'm open to comments!



5 comments:

expat in Side said...

Hi, although a plain top is useful especially for travelling, I think hand stitching a simple design gives the garment a real lift. As always I admire your productivity and am looking forward to seeing all the new garments you sew for this plan, angela

Helenchaffin said...

so many decisions lol ,the embroidery & the beading is nice,thinking ahead into Fall it'd be pretty left as is with a coordinating scarf,hope that didn't add to the madness of decisions 🤣

Alison said...

Hi Ruthie! Although as you know I am all about adding embellishment to garments... in this case I would be somewhat hesitant to do anything that added additional weight, (even hand embroidery), unless the fabric is fairly robust, and it sounds as if you have concerns and awareness of those issues. It also sounds as if you are feeling like the beige is just "too bland". What I myself might do is to add a subtle textile painted pattern around the neckline, in a color that is close to but not identical to the beige knit, maybe just a row of dots. That way it would still be very wearable with accessories, or by itself, but would feel a little more special. JMHO, and I am very curious what you will decide to do!
~~ Indigotiger

Karen said...

For me, a ‘go with everything’ top would be travel wardrobe gold, so I’d probably leave it plain and go with accessories.To spice it up just a bit though, I’d probably go with a row or two of simple sashiko type stitch hand embroidered around neckline and maybe arm cuff in a color just a shade or two darker than garment. Have fun deciding! Karen

Ginger said...

I would leave it plain so that I could mix and match scarves and necklaces.