Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 9 September 2024

New Look 6481 Jacket - now with pockets

 This is the jacket from New Look 6481. Sewn in the fabric leftover from one of C's jackets.



I made a few alterations before cutting out - a high round back alteration and a full bicep alteration.
The sort of high round back alteration I like to use needs easing or introduces a back shoulder dart - in this case that's what I went for.
Otherwise I made the jacket as is except for machine stitching the hems.

I plan to wear this over the top and skirt outfit I posted earlier.

The pattern doesn't have any pockets but I wanted some. So I followed this tutorial

It took me a great deal longer than 10 minutes, but mostly that was working out the placement and getting it the same on both sides. I did make a couple of changes.
I drew the box on paper and stitched through that with a shortened stitch length. I find that works well on my zipper pocket method. And I sewed up the three remaining pocket sides with separate passes as I had a whole jacket attached! That way I could just fold the jacket the opposite way each time.

I also made my pockets a bit smaller due to fabric limitations and the space on the jacket fronts.

I stitched the top corner of the pocket bags to the facing so they don't droop.





Some shots of how it looks with the pockets


No comments: