Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 1 September 2024

Sinclair Dune Woven Pant


This is my first try at a new pattern, with mixed results....


I love the idea  of being able to use some of my woven fabric stash but have comfortable elastic and yoga style waist. Perhaps it was the materials I used or perhaps I've misunderstood the instructions, but its VERY bulky at the waistline seam.

Here's the instructions saying how to insert the elastic.
I used a normal 1" wide elastic, a knit with good stretch and recovery and a polyester suiting fabric from stash. At the waist seam there are
Main fabric + Pocket lining + Pocket fabric + Elastic + Waistband x 2.
This has the elastic awkwardly folding, so I interpreted the topstitching as below this seam to hold the elastic down flat. This topstitching is then though 8 layers of fabric and the elastic which is a very bulky thing and not that comfortable around the waist.
Any suggestions?

 



The shape of the pattern pieces is such that you really do need the fabric amount mentioned as well as co-ordinating knit fabric and lining.
For my size this is 2.5 metres, and not all my stashed lengths are going to be enough. The polyester trouser suiting I used for this pair wasn't quite long enough and I had to cut the ankle length and do a tiny hem to fit them onto the fabric.
In lighter weight fabric like viscose would be less bulky but not strong enough to hold the complex pockets in some of the views so I'm unsure if this is really the stash buster of my dreams!



Katrina from Lifting Pins and Needles has done a video on this pattern but she omitted the elastic and relied on the elastane in her knit
(4517) POCKETS GALORE! BEST waistband on EARTH: Yoga yay! Dune (Sinclair patterns). Perfect fit :) - YouTube

Has anyone else tried this pattern? How did it work for you?

2 comments:

Alison said...

The only time I have seen pants with a "yoga waistband" there was *no* additional internal elastic, the waistband was a quite deep folded over strip made from robust but not heavyweight knitted fabric with a good recovery, while the pants themselves were made from lighter fabric. Sometimes that "waistband" could be worn folded double, for extra elastic grip.

CAN I said...

I have seen yoga waistbands with a piece of elastic applied to the inside top edge, inside the fold of the fabric so not near the main pant, and only stitched to the inside layer of fabric, thereby remaining invisible. To alleviate some bulk, can you make the pockets patch pockets on all sides, hemming the top rather than adding those layers into the seam? And to fit them onto a shorter length, can you narrow the legs a little so that they do nest? Wishing you all the best in this challenge…Chris in Florida