Quote

Black Lives Matter

Saturday 7 January 2012

The All Points Skirt by Rhonda

Although I loved the Tablecloth skirt on Shams' blog, I knew it wouldn't work on my bottom heavy figure, so just admired it as a thing of interest. So I was very excited when I came across The All Points Skirt by Rhonda Buss which appeals to me very much. This drapes from the waist and doesn't have the angular points which add visual weight I don't need, so I think it could work very well for me.
I could not decide which of the knits in my SWAP pile to use, and in the end went into the fabric shop in town and discovered they had ponte knits, and bought black (for SWAP, particularly this skirt) and rust (for stash, prob next Autumn).

It's not really worth a photo of black ponte, so I'll just say its smooth, light to mid-weight and should work very well for the skirt. I've measured me and the fabric and will be able to cut out the panels across the width of the fabric, which will be very efficient use of the fabric, and means I can make something else from the rest of it - maybe a simple black dress.

Jenni suggested that if this skirt style works well for me I should consider it in a pinstripe woven, and I am hugely excited about that. There's something quite subversive about a suit in a conventional fabric, but with unusual lines. I probably would need to keep the jacket quite simple to avoid overload.

Hopefully I will be able to cut out and sew up the skirt tomorrow and share with you.

With the sweater set and skirt, I would have a whole new outfit to wear next week!

5 comments:

RhondaBuss said...

I'm so excited!! Can't wait to see your skirt.

Jenni said...

Ruth, that is going to be very you. I think I might make one also.

RhondaBuss said...

Ruth, I've been traveling the last couple of days and wasn't able to see your sweater set. This will look great with your new skirt.

SewRuthie said...

well its in progress..... but not sure its quite working out as expected, think I am going to add a wider waistband to make it a bit longer, the knit is very stretchy, but I mismeasured and its a bit short.

Hen said...

I read the instruction and it looks like fun. The woven pinstripe idea sounds good, too. In the instructions it is said that for wovens you need your hip-measurement, or insert a zipper.
Recently I found out that I can pull on skirts (that sit low) over my head, so I can omitt the zipper and also not have the bulk of an elastic waist. An advantage of the bottom-heavy figure.