Quote

Black Lives Matter

Tuesday 30 January 2024

My first Metra Blazer

 

I've been noticing people's versions of the Metra blazer, and when it was the $5 Friday pattern a few weeks ago I bought it.
Metra Blazer - Love Notions Sewing Patterns

I watched a few YouTube videos on construction as well as reading the instructions and watching the linked videos. They all varied a little so I mostly followed the advice and did a few bits my own way. Its all worked out fine.

Sizing - I measured myself and chose the size which matched up with my measurements - this was an XL. I did a full bicep alteration on the sleeve. The fit is fine. 

As you can see the back hem is slightly raised which is more pronounced on me, I think on the next version I need to do a high round back alteration (normal for me).

Fabric - I used 2 co-ordinating jacquard double knits I had in stash. These were very spongy, and a bit thick when it came to topstitching etc. It also ravelled and needed to be finished with the overlocker.

I used the larger design for the front back and sleeves, and the smaller design for the side panels, pocket flaps and collar facing. I think it's worked out quite well.

The sort of welt pockets are really clever and I enjoyed doing them. There are not really any pockets, its just an opening into the inside of the facing. You do get a glimpse of the wrong side of the fabric, which isn't that attractive in this knit, so bear that in mind.

The shoulder and neck seam was a bit tricky in this fabric. I would probably had an easier time if I'd interfaced the snip area. Maybe next time!

I really like the pattern and will be trying the other view next.

5 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

I luv it! thicker fabrics can be tricky,I use my walking foot when sewing thicker bulky fabrics

Doctor T Designs said...

This looks fantastic!

Debbie Cook said...

Great combination of fabrics!

Karen said...

What fun fabrics - love it! Karen

Ellen's Sewing Passion said...

Love your Metra Blazer Ruth! Look delicious to wear ♥