Quote

Black Lives Matter

Saturday 12 June 2010

Knit dresses

I have really struggled with getting dresses to fit.
Two sorts seem to work
1 - empire line fitted through shoulders and bust and then gently flaring out after that
2 - fitted body, waist seam and slightly flared skirt.

I just twigged that no2 means I could make a knit dress by taking any well fitting knit top pattern (and I have a ton of them) cutting at the waistline to create a waist seam and adding a slightly flared skirt to it. I'd need a lot of skirt to cover the nether regions though so will have to make sure I purchase enough fabric when I see a great print.
Knot front knit dress anyone, cowl neck, the options are endless, I am feeling a little bit delirious.

2 comments:

a little sewing said...

yes, do it! I am finishing up a dress today. I used Jalie 2973 and just made it longer.
it IS exciting.

sdBev said...

Ruthie It would be even easier with the tops you've already fitted. I prefer dresses that skim the waist and hips. In the past, I've just extended the blouse to the length desired. No real fitting, because I did all that when making the blouse.