Quote

Black Lives Matter

Saturday 9 April 2016

Man's Navy Bathrobe

We've just got back from a 3 week trip. For both of us our travel wardrobes consisted almost entirely of travel clothing from Craghoppers. These clothes have a relaxed fit, a large number of secure zipped pockets and can be washed in a sink/shower/bucket and allowed to dry overnight if required. We buy in the sales and its not worth trying to sew something similar.
However for this trip we were travelling on the MV Searcher on a whale watching trip in Baja.
Part of the suggested packing list for this was a bathrobe as the showers and toilets are shared and are accessed via the public area. As packing space was limited I sewed lightweight kimono style robes for both N and I.
Here is N wearing his bathrobe in the hotel after the boat trip days. It is made from a fine navy poly cotton I bought on the local open air market.
Here is my bathrobe on the dressmakers dummy. This is made from a remnant of border print I got in the local roll end shop. It worked out well.
Both are made from the same Unisex pattern, Simplicity 5763. N's is an XL, mine is an L. I made his first then trimmed the pattern down to make mine.

I can see these being useful again in future whenever we stay with family or anywhere with shared facilities.
This is the first garment I've made for N and he seemed happy with it which is good.

P.S. If you zoomed in and thought I'd managed to pick up a craft magazine whilst on holiday you were partly right, N is reading Craft County which is about Craft beer in San Diego.

4 comments:

patsijean said...

I really like the robes, your's especially because of the floral print.

Jenni said...

Those both look great and I'm pleased they worked out well for the intended purpose. I notice you have managed to persuade N to hold up a craft magazine.... I assume you picked the magazine up on your trip?

SewRuthie said...

N is holding a beer magazine!

Fabrickated said...

Ha ha ha. A beer magazine! Anyway he looks splendid. Great makes.