Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 19 August 2024

Red and white pleat neck top

 I thought I'd try out a new pattern - Butterick 5354




I pulled out a remnant of fabric which wasn't quite enough for the long sleeved version so I adapted the sleeve to be 3/4 length. pleated onto a band to echo the neckline.



I used a viscose knit which drapes beautifully but is relatively heavy. I decide to add a back facing as well as the front facing.

I'm not convinced that a facing is an appropriate treatment here. I had to stitch the back facing in place, as well as under stitching the entire neckline and stitching in the ditch through every pleat at the front. 
It still rolls out slightly.

If I make this again I'd put a neckband on instead.



1 comment:

Alison said...

looking at how the neckline is constructed, I am wondering about possibly using a narrow stay tape along the seamline between the facing and the bodice... I have done that on some of my hats, and it really keeps the line anchored. Don't know if it would work on a neckline, and of course there is no reason *not* to use a band instead, but just wanted to toss that out as an idea. I have some very narrow twill tape that I find invaluable!