Quote

Black Lives Matter

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Broken desk

I have an old Ikea desk with a warped top and broken end which I am going to get rid of. I had been using it anyway, but it needs to go. The main desk surface was too large for my car though and I was wondering the best way to get rid of it, and then inspiration struck.
A nearby friend with a large car and a wood burning stove is going to take it off my hands, he'll chop it up and get heat from it, so a win all round there I think.
So I just need to clear it off and take it properly apart (one end is coming off anyway) and arrange my friend to collect.
Looks like my parents can come over for lunch on Saturday and give me some help to construct the new sewing room shelving units. (GORM from Ikea above). I want to have some sort of cover to protect the fabric, though may need to wait until construction is complete to decide what would be best - curtain, rattan blind? I think I might need to go back to Ikea as I've not got cross braces included in the unit packs (as far as I can see) and I also want to get some white tint to paint the shelves with after construction to lighten them a little.

4 comments:

Elaray said...

Just a thought – does the desk have a finish or veneer that might make unsafe fumes when it's burned?

Julie Culshaw said...

I was just going to ask the same question. If it does, he should burn it outdoors.

Dixie said...

I thought of the same thing regarding toxicity of the finish on the wood. I'm sure your friend will know if it's safe or not.
You've got some major space clearing going on in your home. Good for you, for sticking with it. I know your life will be easier and more pleasant for it. Can you come visit me and do the same in my home?!

SewRuthie said...

Hi all. My friend has a very modern log burner with flue and lives in the countryside. So anything that gets burned in it the fumes are out into the outside air not into the house. But agreed I will check with him before he takes it. It's in bits now, but not arranged collection yet.