Quote

Black Lives Matter

Thursday 1 March 2012

Suits, teal and the decluttering urge

Not in any particular order here are some things that have been going around in my head. They also sort of interlink with each other.

Suits. Now I'm working at a customer site 3 days a week, I'm suddenly wearing my old pantsuits a lot more. I don't know if I need any more purchased suits, but I definitely need to make the most of the ones I do have. My jacket sewing skills are not yet up to making pant suits for work, and I'm not sure whether or not this is something I do want to focus on in my sewing. I wonder if I would be helped by buying another suit for work, or if I just need to be more creative with what I already have.

Teal. I have long been a fan of teal, it really brings out my eyes, but actually its not very flattering to my under eye area or my chin/neck region. I'm seriously considering removing it from my wardrobe which is a bit of a shock to the system as its been one of my go-to colours for a LONG time. But I am definitely a Spring and look better in ivory, red, orange, coral, pink and lime than teal. Turquoise isn't as bad, and stuff with low necklines or mixed with lots of white seem OK too, though why wear those when I can glow in coral?


Decluttering. I brought lots of stuff from the other house with me including all of my clothes, shoes, books, sewing stuff and fabrics. It is starting to bug me just a bit and I'd like to have less stuff, though I'm not entirely sure where to start. Clothing would be an obvious place to begin I think since I could link it with both the need for suits and the losing of teal, I could get rid of things which don't fit or work as I do so. I'm slightly nervous this will result in nothing to wear, but its not a serious risk!

Then I think I need to do an overhaul of the study/sewing room by replacing the desk, adding some fabric shelving and having a general declutter, move round and tidy. This would require some new furniture and some assistance in construction (prob from mum and dad), so is probably a little further down the list since my car just cost me a chunk of money in maintenance.

3 comments:

kbenco said...

Ruthie, could you do a class on jacket fitting? -After reading your thoughts about sewing jackets for a few years now, I think that your sewing skills are definitely up to a jacket, but the fitting is putting you off.

Lynda said...

Ruthie..
Seeing what you sew, I think you could definitely sew a jacket. It doesn't have to be a full on tailored jacket, soft tailoring works!
Look for a cardigan style jacket (no lapels to deal with) a shawl collar, or a "Chanel type." It's not any harder than sewing a woven blouse IMO.
Check out Burda 8201; 8965, and 8949
or Vogue 7975
or McCalls 5668

There are lots out there that aren't that difficult and don't require all the tailoring details!

Ginger said...

I forget about those softer jackets too. I work in a professional environment where a suit jacket is too much but a little something over something is nice.

And I love all your teal!