Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 25 March 2012

Shelving plans

I am beginning to feel a little more like myself, though by no means fully recovered, so I am thinking about how I am going to use the new shelves.
I have bought a simple curtain track which I will install, so I can use some plain cream curtains to keep the bulk of the contents of the shelves hidden from sight. This will make for more restful sewing, be a little more friendly for the odd guest having to sleep on the folding bed in there, and allow me to have that moment where you open the door/curtain and enjoy the contents.

I'm planning on using the wall of shelves to store ALL my fabric, notions and craft materials. (I have materials for multiple other creative hobbies, though in much less volume than the sewing stuff). And then avoid having sewing/craft stuff anywhere else in the house. I'm not sure if this is feasible, but there's a lot of storage there, and if the space has boundaries it should help me decide if things stay or go. It will also release some shelving space in the study currently holding craft materials.
I'm not quite sure where gift wrap should go, so it may not yet get incorporated.

I shall store craft materials to the left, heavy things in boxes underneath the bottom shelf, light things in clear boxes on the top of the unit. I plan to roll fabric, except for slippy stuff like linings. And as much as possible put like with like to make it easier to find gold paint, leather scraps, buttons or interfacing.

It should be a fantastic resource centre, and enable me to have everything to hand to really spur my creativity. I am excited!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Oops mismeasured and the curtain track is too short. Will need to buy another section and have a joining piece in the middle. So that is for another day!

6 comments:

Jenni said...

That sounds a good plan. I will look forward to seeing that. Perhaps the gift wrap rolls could stand to the side of the shelves, between wall and shelves. I have mine there and it works well for me.

Judith said...

It is going to be great to see all of your sewing and creative gear in one place - how easy is it going to be to find bits and pieces now!!! Looking forward to seeing these empty shelves fully stocked...

Ann said...

Love your idea for storing all your stash and notions in one area. I am not there yet with mine but it is organized - garment fabric in one room, craft fabric in another room. One day it will all be in one room though.

Hope you are feeling much better and will soon be fully recovered.

a little sewing said...

oh, I agree that should be a wonderful wall of goodness. Glad you are starting to feel better.

LyndaSewing.blogspot.com said...

Feeling great is a big step in getting organized.
I'm very impressed with you and Carolyn over at Diary of a Sewing Fanatic for getting all your fabrics on shelves so you can see them, touch them, and be inspired.

I have swatches in a notebook, and although it helps so my husband doesn't see them all together and wonder why I buy more, it's not nearly so tactile and awe inspiring as to be able to look and touch whenever you want. Take your time and have fun with it!

Rose said...

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. Your organization plan sounds good. You and Carolyn are inspiring me to get busy with my stuff.