Quote

Black Lives Matter

Saturday 15 August 2009

Abakhan Preston and Hotpatterns

Today I went up to Preston to the Abakhan fabrics shop there. I met up with Jenni (YorkshireLass) and her mum, and having fellow sewers there really enhanced the experience as well.

For those who have never been to Abakhan's as well as having fabric on the roll they also have fabric remnants sold by weight, split up into categories e.g. suiting, shirting, knits, fleece, etc.
Jenni is particularly good at finding things in these wire shelves where the pieces are 20+ deep and all sizes and shapes.

I have come back with 3 suiting weight pieces for trousers, 5 knits for tops (or maybe one as a dress), cotton fabric to make PJs for hubby and a few notions.

Wovens (top picture) L to R
Navy wool and cashmere for trousers
Interesting trouser fabric which has navy threads one way and brown the other making it a RICH grey.
Brown stretch trouser fabric - from the 70% off section :-)


Knits (lower picture) L to R
Soft cotton knit in coral
Greens and black knit
Black and white poly knit (large pattern)
Also bought a remnant piece which had a scrap of olive viscose knit sewn to another of teal blue (not pictured)

When I got home I also found that HP1089, the Classix Nouveaux 3 Graces T-Shirts pattern from HotPatterns has arrived today as well which is very exciting.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow,Ruth, you were quick off the mark with the photos. I only just took mine. I really enjoyed our meet up... it was such fun to shop with you. So pleased your pattern has arrived ... at least you have some more options for making those up now.

kiltsnquilts said...

When I used to live in the Uk I used to stock up at the Abakhan in North Wales (can't remember the name of the place for the life of me!) when I visited my parents who lived near Prestatyn at the time. I used to love to rummage the remnants! I also remember buying bags of buttons by weight and got some bargains! There is nothing like that here and I do miss it :-(

Love your fabrics and can't wait to see them made up, the green knit in the middle of the thre is lovely!