Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 9 August 2009

A few sewing jobs


Today the sewing I decided to do was two minor hand sewing repairs to things which had been hanging on the wardrobe door annoying me - One trouser hem, the other a loose care label - they are done and put away in the wardrobe.

I also took a short sleeved blouse which had a very tight cuff, removed the little cuff band, zig-zagged, rehemmed it plain and stitched the button back on to cover.
Now I can wear the blouse without it cutting off the circulation in my upper arm which is nice.

This afternoon I stood two cork noticeboards on my dressing table, and hung another to one side and then hung my necklaces from them on push pins.
I think it is safe to say that I do not really need to buy any more necklaces but at least I can access what I have a little better!
One board is reds and oranges, another is teals and greens and the third is neutrals (browns, ivory etc). I am going to try and wear more of the necklaces and really have fun with them.

Although I didn't make any progress on the knit dress, I did see that looking more closely at the dress line drawing it has back darts, and lo and behold they are marked on the pattern - silly me! I will add those tomorrow and hopefully they will help some with the back shaping . I am also going to cut the front down slightly and add a knit band to pull it up, instead of having it just turned over and stitched.
If I made this again I'd take a tuck in the front neckline of the pattern before cutting out, but its too late for this version, so the fixes have to come where you can make them.

I had thought about a narrow band, but I think I will make them the same as waist ties which should make it look more deliberate rather than a 'save'. So I will have to think carefully about where I want it to wrap over, how I am going to treat the skirt wrap, and what happens at the point where the front band, waist tie and front waist pleats/ruching all meet.

Friday the Wardrobe In A Week prep week starts so I need to finalise my patterns for that, so I can start on Friday night after our evening meal, but I want to get the dress done first and am trying to keep focused.

P.S. for those of you thinking 'My goodness she has a serious problem' I will say that necklaces are my signature, and during the period when I was losing most of the weight, instead of buying chocolate, cakes or other foodie treats I would go and buy myself a necklace or sometimes earrings, usually in the sale so only a few pounds per item.
There are rather more of them than I thought I had though, and yes I will try and wear a different one every day, and any I don't love I will be brave and pass them on.

4 comments:

Rhoto said...

WOW, Ruthie!! LOOK at the jewelry!! You've probably been wearing 20% of it 80% of the time, eh... NOW you can see what OTHER, fun piees you have!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR), who just loves jewelry "to pieces" ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the jewellery collection, especially the reds and oranges

kiltsnquilts said...

Wow, and I thought I had a lot of jewellry!! You could always challenge yourself to wear a different piece every day until you have worn them all, Lol!

Jenni said...

Wow Ruth, that is what I call a proper collection. I love the cork board idea too. Very neat way to see what you have got.