If it looks familiar it's because I used the quilt, I made in March 2021 for the body and then quilted lots of extra bits for the rest of it.
I used these instructions for the log cabin block.
I used OOP New Look 6316 as the basis of my jacket
I made a test garment from some prequilted fabric rescued from an old mattress cover, laundered by worn. Based on this I altered all the pattern pieces, I did a high round back alteration to the back, a forward head alteration to the front, a slash and spread to make the sleeves wider and reduced the collar height. I didn't use the facing piece.
The original quilt was quite small, about 3 feet by 4 feet, so I used it for the body of the coat. I taped the front and back pattern pieces together and cut it out on the fold, then sewed the shoulder seams, trimmed back and covered the seam with a strip of binding.
Whilst I was able to use the original quilt for the coat body, I made a new 2 foot by 3 foot quilted panel from which I cut the sleeves using the same log cabin tutorial. I only just had enough of the fabric used for the longest strips. I also made other quilted panels out of scraps from which I cut patch pockets and the collar.
Once I'd made the quilted panels I cut out and made up the sleeves and bound the seam. Inserted the sleeves and bound the armhole seam.
I made up and sewed on the collar and patch pockets. I covered the collar seam with binding.
I bound the outer edge of the collar and the bottom of the sleeves.
I added buttonholes, buttons and a drawstring casing.
I've entered this coat in the PR CopyCat contest and would love it if you voted for my entry when the voting opens.
Voting is now open at