Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 20 February 2023

Zipped A3 art bag/paper folder

I have a few bits of A3 paper which were difficult to store neatly. I decided to make a stiffened fabric bag to store them in, but it would also be great for taking art materials to a class etc.




I wanted to use what I had 

- navy blue upholstery fabric with a white back - used for the main bag

- blue striped webbing - used for the handles

- navy blue polyester fabric - used for the cardboard pockets

- 2 brown zips, recycled from old home dec - used as the closure

- cardboard - used as the stiffener.


From the upholstery fabric I cut 

- 1 large piece for the front, back and bottom of the bag

- a long strip which I cut in half as the gusset containing the zip

- some small pieces for the ends of the zip area.

From the lining fabric I cut

- 1 large piece the same size as the upholstery fabric


Sewing steps

Sewed the two zips, end to end within the long strips of the gusset and topstitched. Added a bit extra to the ends.

Hemmed the long edge of the pocket fabric, then based it onto the back of the upholstery fabric. Stitched 2 channels to make the pockets to hold the cardboard pieces later.

Stitched the handles to the upholstery fabric.

Stitched the gusset to the bag, making sure the handles were sandwiched in the right place.


I then cut 3 cardboard pieces to size (front, back and bottom) and slid them into the pockets.

Then filled the folder up with all my outsize paper and cardboard.


I'm happy with my neat A3 storage


1 comment:

Lisa Laree said...

Very cool!!! Great idea!