Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 13 July 2014

Bright summer dress

Yesterday a group of us had a chance to go and see 'South Pacific' at Kilworth House Theatre.
We attended the matinee and then had a picnic together. It was a fabulous day.
Since it was a warm day lots of the ladies were wearing rather lovely bright summer dresses.

So today I cut into some bright printed cotton, lengthening my dartless blouse parttern into a dress. The idea was to create a wonderfully cool dress loose dress to wear on really hot days. I'm not entirely sure its worked as I planned though.
I only had 2m of fabric so its only just knee length, and I think I am going to add a little bit of cotton lace trim to lengthen it just a touch ([pinned onto the bottom). I think it also needs belting at the empire line as its very shapeless.
And I may need to restitch part of the upper back, as I've overdone the high round back alteration.

I can't decide if it does look fun, or if the print is a bit childish for a dress. I want to make it work though as I do love the happiness of the print.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I think it may please you more without the lace, or with a wide band of toning plain fabric to lenthen it at the bottom instead of the lace, and maybe styled with a belt?

prttynpnk said...

Throw it on and accesorize a bit- that always helps me- but Im not sure about the lace. The fabric is very pretty!

Summer Flies said...

The fabric is lovely but I think loose the lace, cut the sleeves shorter and I like Jenni's idea to add a wide band and maybe a matching band at empire line.