Quote

Black Lives Matter

Tuesday 19 June 2018

New Home MyLock 134D in for repairs

I bought my first overlocker (serger) over 20 years ago. Somewhere between 1995 and 1998. It is a noisy old workhorse New Home MyLock 134D which is a Janome name. Its not fussy about thread and has cheerfully sewn all kinds of things without any issues.
 

Today the machine chewed the fabric on my latest project and to sort it out I had to remove the foot and the knife. I then rethreaded it from scratch and reattached the foot and knife. Either I'd done something wrong or it was the same problem which caused the jam in the first place.

Thankfully the local sewing machine repair guy has not yet fully retired so I've taken the machine round for repair (which he reckoned was worth doing) and hopefully will get it back later in the week.

I do actually have another overlocker (serger), a smooth and quiet Bernina 800DL which I bought 8 or 9 years ago but never really bonded with. I had lots of trouble with the threading (operator error!) and hardly used it. I recently got it out again to use the rolled hem which it did absolutely beautifully once I'd watched the videos enough times.

There is a whole series of videos on YouTube by Heirloom Creations for the Bernina 800DL. So I'll thread that up in black thread instead and carry on with my project.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a 22 yr old Sears Kenmore serger that looks a lot like yours -- also made by Janome. Manually threaded, and I have to change the throat plate for rolled hemming. I had to get a new upper knife for it yesterday. Because of its age, they are phasing out parts. But you are right -- simple little workhorse! I hope yours comes back feeling better.

Patricia said...

Hello, I just bought a New Home HF134D serger. It came with no accessories. Can you tell me what accessories came with it when you bought it new? I need to replace the accessories? Thank you!

Patricia patmel06@yahoo.com.