Adventures in garment construction. (Plus random thoughts, photos of interesting places and stuff I've made!)
Once you choose hope, anything is possible.
Thursday, 28 February 2019
My friend B has been invited to a Murder Mystery party, where each of the guests has a character. Hers appears to be a nun though it later turns out she is not. So she wanted a nun costume with a few wrong bits to give the hint.
She is a much smaller size than I am, so I took a few measurements and chose styles which didn't need a lot of fitting.
For the main dress we used Simplicity 8055, cutting a 10 in the upper body, flaring out to a 12 at the hips.
I added 14 inches to the length of the dress and 9 inches to the length of the sleeves. This gave a long dress with long sleeves.
I added self drafted godets in a contrast red fabric at B's request. There is one in each side seam and a third in the centre back.
For the white collar, I made a polo neck poncho from a white knit fabric, using Simplicty8376 as a starting point.
I traced off the upper front and back and extended the shoulder line and
added a curve. I also cut the neckband much deeper than the pattern to
give a polo neck (turtle neck). I finished the edges with overlocking.
I thrifted two necklaces and combined them to make a neckpiece.
I made a headdress from a square of fabric with one corner cut off and the opposite corner rounded. This was stitched to a headband sized to B's head.
It was a lot of fun making this and I have edited the post to show B wearing the outfit. The party is in a few weeks time.