Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 7 November 2022

Christmas Party Top

 Here's my red lace top, which I plan to wear for various Christmas events.


I started with my normal New Look 6735 knit top pattern but did a high round back alteration and brought the neckline in and up a bit as I wasn't going to be adding a neckband. I cut the lace front and back out first so I could have a whole number of scallops, then cut the same out of the jersey lining. The sleeves are just lace.

I sewed the lining back and shoulder seams and the same for the lace. I only put ribbon shoulder seam stays in the lining. (I stitch on the sewing machine and then overlock.)

Then I put right side to wrong side and sewed the neck seam, adding some elastic to stop things sagging.
I then used machine basting to secure the lace to the lining at the shoulder seams and all the sides.

I inserted the sleeves flat and topstitched the finished seam to the body so it doesn't show through the lace sleeve.
Then I sewed up the sleeve and side seam in one go. I threaded the tails of the overlocking back into the seam with a large eyed needle and knotted.

This sort of top seems to be fairly widely available, but I like the quality and fit of mine!

3 comments:

Lisa Laree said...

So pretty! A custom-fit holiday top can't be beat!

Alison said...

Ruthie - that is so very festive, and of course by making your own, you get better quality and better fit! Wishing you some delightful holiday parties to enjoy it at!!
- Indigotiger

Beverly said...

I love lace. Yours is so petty!