Quote

Black Lives Matter

Wednesday 3 April 2024

Emerald Green - ideas for bringing in a specific colour to your wardrobe - Part 1

Emerald Green - ideas for bringing in a specific colour to your wardrobe - Part 1 : Planning

(This turned into such a long post as I was writing it that I think it'll be a series!)

I like to co-ordinate to some extent, which I'm sure isn't a surprise to you if you've seen all the capsule wardrobes I've sewn!

A while back I attended a dance based exercise class and bought some trainers (sneakers) on sale which I only wore in the studio. I don't go to that class anymore, so the shoes are now available for general wear and now its spring I'd like to wear them a bit more without investing lots of money in new items.


The colour is infuriating, greener than turquoise/teal but lighter and bluer than most of the greens.

I've been collecting ideas and will see how many of them I can put into action. I thought this might be useful for others, so let me know if you found it helpful!

Step 1 - Clothes and accessories you already own

Go through your wardrobe and accessories and see what you already own in this colour. I didn't think I had anything much but found I did have a few things. Don't forget scarves and jewellery. 


Earrings


two necklaces


A t shirt (sadly with 4 tiny stains which I can't get out, prob splashes of sauce)


Multicoloured tube scarf

I can happily make outfits with these pieces to wear my green trainers now.

Step 2 - Fabric and craft materials you already own

Now go through your fabric and scraps and pull out anything matching or containing the colour (including scraps of quilting cotton too small to be a garment). I also picked out thread, buttons, trim, beads, fabric paint and silk paints.

NOTE: If there is a similar (but not matching) colour in a print it may still work as its less critical that the colour be an exact match.

Step 3 - Ideas for using what you have

1. Use a print. Sew a garment from a print fabric which includes your colour (or something similar).

2. Embroidery. By hand or machine. Add a motif in the colour to a plain garment (or to fabric and make up into a garment)

3. Fabric paint. Mix several colours together to match the colour you are introducing. Keep it simply by painting a stripe. The base can be plain or striped already - overpaint a few of the white stripes.

4. Sew beads in your colour onto the neckline of a top.

5. Add a contrasting patch pocket to a top, you can use quilting cotton for this.

6. Add applique (quilting cotton again) to a garment (use with caution!)

7. Make a garment using the colour for the cuffs and neckband

8. Make a colour blocked garment which incorporates plains and print with at least one mention of the chosen colour.

I am going to try as many of these as possible and will share the results as I go!

1 comment:

Helenchaffin said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with all the choices you come up with!