Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 28 April 2024

Palazzo Trousers - New Look 6438

 I used New Look 6438 View D as a starting point for Palazzo trousers.



I wanted elasticated waist trousers, so I omitted the back darts and replaced the shaped waistband with an elasticated one.
I also wanted pockets so drafted up some simple inseam pockets (though I'd make them deeper in a future pair).
I have a non standard crotch curve, so used another pattern I have altered a lot for fit to alter the crotch on these, I extended the front and back crotch depth slightly, and raised the back waist. The result is very comfortable for me.

I decided to use a mystery crinkle fabric, probably polyester - with red threads in one directions and gold in the other. In some lights the red or gold is more apparent, but overall it reads as orange.

This has been languishing in the stash for at least 10 years, so it was use it or give it away.
There's a reason this fabric languished in the stash for so long! When I'd finished the pants, DH wanted to know if I'd got a part in Aladdin. Sigh.




The bright colour, shine and crinkle don't make for very flattering pants.
The pattern is a keeper so I'll be sewing the trousers again in a more suitable fabric - something like plain navy blue or a printed viscose.
NOTE: the legs don't actually flare out as the line drawing imply, they are wide and straight.

2 comments:

CAN I said...

I think they look smashing! For a dressy event in particular, with a long line vest, open on the sides, to sweep into a room with drama. Good to use a longterm stash resident to try new things. Thanks for sharing.. Chris in Florida

Alison said...

Those are definitely a "new look" for you! maybe save them as a wearable muslin for some fancy dress party. I do agree that the shape of the trousers is a good one, and I suspect that the wide leg shape is very current... in a more versatile fabric this could be a real wardrobe workhorse.