Quote

Black Lives Matter

Friday 12 April 2024

Emerald Green - ideas for bringing in a specific colour to your wardrobe - Part 3 : Fabric Markers

Emerald Green - ideas for bringing in a specific colour to your wardrobe - Part 3 : Fabric Markers

I had some viscose (rayon) jersey fabric which had been languishing in the stash for many years. It was a bright white background with a fairly sparse outline print of palm trees in black. I don't much like achromatic looks (no colour) so hadn't reached for it.


To add colour I coloured in each of the palm leaves by hand with a green Dylon fabric marker. It took several hours and completed used up the marker.

If I try this again I'll cut the pieces out first, then colour the motifs in.

The pattern I used is Simplicity 1945 which has been in my stash for more than 10 years (it was issued in 2011). I made View B, the mock wrap top with a full round back alteration, full bicep alteration and extra width through the body.



I made a high round back alteration, full bicep alteration and graded out a little at the sides. I also cut the band across the fabric and a bit wider and used it as a neckband rather than a facing. I used my coverhem machine on the hems.

The pattern goes together nicely but I think I'd need to make more alterations for it to be flattering on my body.

I had hoped that the ruching would give me a waist. Unfortunately it hits lower on me than expected and is not very flattering. Perhaps I added too much ease or maybe its just the wrong shape for my body.


I'm going to see if my full busted friend would like this top.

2 comments:

CAN I said...

Market was a great idea… can you pick out the side seam and adjust the gathers where you need them? I have needed to do that on some other patterns

Alison said...

Hi Ruthie!
Using the marker to recolor the print was genius... if your friend doesn't want the top, maybe you can use the pieces from it as part of a different project?
~ Indigotiger