Quote

Black Lives Matter

Tuesday 16 July 2024

Palazzo Trousers for a friend

 


Just finished making these super wide leg trousers for my young friend C. I did a toile a while back in an old duvet cover, but only just got round to making this pair up.

C bought the fabric from Pound Fabrics. It's 100% polyester but pressed well, should keep the vibrant colours and be easy care.

This is based on the Simple Sew Palazzo Trousers, heavily altered. I've altered the fit for C, changed to an elasticated waistband and redrafted the pockets so they have a front scoop (like the picture) rather than inseam (as the pattern really is). About the only thing that's the same is the width of the legs!


The fabric has a visually strong vertical print, but didn't seem to be directional, so to get this placement the fronts are cut in opposite directions to get the mirror of the print. I've done something similar with the back. The waistband is cut from one of the floral strips. I think its worked out really well.

I needed 1 3/4 inch (4.5cm) elastic for this casing but only had 2" (5cm) in my elastic box. So I ran it through the overlocker to cut off 1/4" and it fits neatly.

2 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Wait, what?! I didn't know you could do that with the elastic! Does it matter what kind of elastic it is? Just a regular 3 or 4 thread overlock? My mind is blown. I have a whole box of elastic in my stash that never seems to be the right width for anything I'm making. I love your pattern placement on those pants, by the way. Your friend will love them!

Helenchaffin said...

I think she will luv them! A neat idea to run the elastic through the over locker I've never thought of that ,now I can stop looking for the size I need 🤣