Quote

Black Lives Matter

Saturday 13 August 2022

RTW top I'd like to copy

I love this RTW top, it is deceptively simple with the front gathered into a square of reinforced jersey which is embellished with beads and sequins.


I'd like to make my own version, but have never found a pattern that was quite the same.

In theory all I need to do is slash and spread where the gathers are, and work out how to sew the square (its actually a rectangle that folds over to the back).


I'm open to ideas for the patternwork and/or a pattern which would be like this - I wonder if Burda magazine ever did one?

------------------

On The Sewing Place it was suggested that I adapt New Look 6217 which I have done with only partial success.


Here's how it looks so far.



I drafted up a piece 8cm x 4cm plus seam allowances and interfaced it.

It is still a bit soft so I think it'll need several layers and/or stiffer interfacing in future.

I've bound the neckline, doing it firmly on the back neck and more loosely on the front neck.

I gathered 10cm into the 4cm square, this doesn't seem to be enough (it was hard to measure the original).


4 comments:

scormeny said...

Burda magazine did have a top like this, I think in a may issue maybe fifteen years ago. I thought about making it but didn’t. I will try to remember to dig it up and report back.

vtmartha said...

Hi Ruthie,
I would look for a darted top pattern that fits the way you like and then rotate all the darts to the CF neckline.

Unknown said...

liesl and co cappuccino has what you want horizontally - you would still have to change it vertically.

Ankara Sews said...

Ottobre Winter 2012 has smaller square, more fitted T-shirt, or same issue light gathers in front neck line. Agree with others…. Burda has very likely done something…but other than rifling through my huge stash of decades. can’t recall. Or modifying that odd cape/top from Burda 2020.01 issue? Regards, TartanMicrobe.