Quote

Black Lives Matter

Wednesday 21 September 2022

FREE Harper Knit Cardigan

 


Pattern Description:
Semi fitted cardigan for knit fabrics for any time of the year and any occasion. Offered in 4 different lengths: cropped, classic, longline and duster (below the knee). Finished with simple bands or split hem (duster only). Can be done with short, 3/4 or long sleeve length finished with cuffs or bands. Optional patch pockets. Perfect wardrobe piece for any time of the year.
I made the longline cardigan with long sleeves and pockets.
The instructions say it only takes an hour to make this, but that wasn't the case for me!
This is a free pattern available as a PDF download, if you open it in Adobe Reader you can delete the sizes you don't want before you print.

Pattern Sizing:
A great size range of 0 to 30, and 3 different heights.
I used the Regular height size 16.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions are great.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Great size range, free pattern, and a style which is very current (I saw loads on a recent RTW window shopping trip).
All edges are finished with a band of some sort, which is very tidy.

Fabric Used:
Polyester knit from stash with knitted stripes which also have a sort of wave design (I've included a pic). Its quite thin and a bit shifty to sew, so I used lots of clips and pins and stitched on the machine before overlocking.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Other then having the stripes run down the pockets I made this as per the pattern in my size.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This is a wearable muslin which fits neatly true to size. My knit doesn't have much stretch and the sleeves are snug.
I was looking for a pattern to use some sweater knit fabric which ravels very easily and doesn't have any finished edges, and I think this could be it, as the bands enclose all the raw edges.
The cropped version could be just the thing as a cover up for a sleeveless dress I made this summer.

Conclusion:
A really great pattern, and its free!

This is the FREE Harper Knit Cardigan.

Here's the sweater knit version




2 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for the pattern recommendation, Ruthie. It looks like a good one. I love how yours turned out. I noticed that there were three files for the pattern pieces. They seem to be the same. Did you download all of them or only one?

SewRuthie said...

Hiya Dawn, You'll want the one for your height, I used the Regular, but they also have Petite and Tall.