Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 22 March 2009

Trying to felt wool

I found a piece of wool in a box when unpacking from my house move - bright teal in colour 150cm wide and 3.3m long.
I decided I'd like to felt the fabric a little to be more a coat weight rather than the medium weight it was. I sewed the ends together to stop it tangling and decided to use my standard front loading washing machine.
First up I put it in the washer on a delicate cycle but with the temp at 60 degrees Celsius. The cycle finished I took the wool out - it didn't seem a lot different, I hung it up to dry.
I decided it wasn't different enough, so later I put it back in the washer, this time on 70 degrees and on the cotton cycle, I also added a little bit of detergent for delicates.
This time it came out a bit wrinkled (the cotton spin I think) and did perhaps feel a little thicker (definitely softer).
It now measures exactly the same as it did before!! Which I guess makes it magic wool - or maybe washable wool?
I'm not quite sure what to do with it now, but at least I know whatever I make from it won't shrink in the wash!

5 comments:

Jafael said...

To felt wool, you need hot water (the hotter the better) and lots of agitation. I think you are being too gentle and kindly with the stuff! Good luck!

Diana said...

Ruthie, Would you consider having a go at putting it in the dryer?I wonder what would happen then?

SewRuthie said...

I'd have to move the box in front of the dryer but I guess I could. Does it need to get wet again first?
(Not used the dryer since we moved here in November, eats electricity I tend to use drying racks)

SewRuthie said...

How about washing it with trainers (sneakers) that might agitate it a bit!

gwensews said...

There are so wools that just do not want to felt. I have one of them. I washed in hot water and dried on hot heat. Nothing. Sometimes, this is good.