Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 19 December 2022

Reworked jeans - Pair no 1

Black jeans - a mash up of Burda 9/2004 #106, Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans and a bit of self drafting!




These jeans have been reworked, I'll take you through what I did.

The short version is that I made some jeans in 2012 and some others in 2009, both from the same black stretch denim fabric. Although they didn't fit anymore I kept both pairs of jeans and the larger chunks of leftover fabric and wanted to rework them to fit me now.

I used the legs from the 2012 jeans (really cool curved panels, no side seam), the back pockets from the 2009 jeans, cut a new waistband from the Mountain View pattern, and invented some new half moon shaped pockets, then sewed it all back together.

The longer version is that back in 2012 I used a really cool Burda Style magazine pattern - Burda 9/2004 #106 -  to make some jeans for SWAP 2012. I omitted the front ankle slits and side ankle zips.

I just loved the curve panels which make up the legs, so that there is no side seam.


I originally used heavy white topstitching thread for the topstitching and the tension was off in many places causing giant loops on the underside. I applied fray check on the back and did the photos, but I didn't enjoy wearing them, something about the fit was off a bit and the loops of thread were uncomfortable.

However I kept them, along with the larger scraps of spare fabric and planned do something with them at some future point. 

Recently (10 years later) I unpicked all of the loopy topstitching, the inseam, crotch seam, the waistband and zip and used my altered Mountain View jeans pattern from Itch to Stitch to recut the crotch curve and waistline and cut a new waistband.

The back pockets were really tiny so I removed them and replaced them with the embroidered pockets I had unpicked from some denim trousers I had made in April 2009 from Burda 10/2008 #132.

To match the back pockets I had redone all the topstitching in turquoise with standard thread.

I wanted front pockets as well, but as Burda 9/2004 #106 doesn't have a side seam I couldn't do them in the normal way, so instead  drafted a new half moon shaped pocket piece which has an opening accessible from the waistband and is secured to the side dart and centre front seam.

I'm really pleased with these now!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I love your new butterfly pockets. Such a neat idea