Quote

Black Lives Matter

Thursday 22 December 2022

Reworked jeans - pair no 2

Having reused the pockets from the April 2009 trousers jeans on reworked jeans pair no 1 , I then went on to deconstruct the rest of the trousers to see if I could recut them into more Mountain View Jeans.


I removed the waist facing and zip, and unpicked the inseam, crotch seam and hem then started trying to lay out the pattern pieces. It was immediately obvious that the shapes were completely different so an approach like pair no 1 wasn't going to work. Then I remembered that the Mountain View jeans have a seam up the centre of the back leg, and I had taped the pattern pieces together for all my other makes.

So I slit the tape open with my seam ripper, patched in the paper from the alterations (done as a whole piece originally) and I was good to go. I kept with the grain but cut the pieces out upside down - a new front from the back leg, and a new outer back leg from the front leg. I then cut the new inner back leg from the spare fabric, along with pockets and waistband.

I then sewed it all back up as per the instructions and using contrasting pink thread for the top stitching (channelling the Pantone 2023 Viva Magenta)



No comments: