I tend towards my default wardrobe for work of tailored trousers, brogues, knit top and cardigan or jacket. I use the same bag (normally a black leather one) for several weeks and start to get a bit bored.
I decide its time to have a 'Ruthie Challenge' and choose something I
am going to do for the coming week. These are normally a completely
personal challenge I keep to myself, or occasionally share with one
friend, but I thought it might be fun for others too.
The challenges include things like
- wear something handmade by me (usually a knit top or jewellery) every day for a week (or longer, I really like this one).
use a brightly coloured handbag (e.g. red) everyday that week -
sometimes I do this one for several weeks having a different coloured
bag each week (red bag week, gold bag week, teal green bag week etc)
- wear a different statement necklace every day for a week
- wear a different skirt or dress every day for a week
- catch up on my ironing and then wear a different proper shirt every day for a week
- wear lipstick every day for a week
- choose something I haven't worn for ages and make a new outfit from it, and then decide if I keep it or not.
- take time to alter or mend things which are too loose, too long, missing a button etc and then wear them!
have been getting in a rut again, mostly because work has been really
busy and I've been putting all my energy into that and less into
choosing what I get dressed in each day.
challenges are sparked by buying new (or new to me thrifted) items and
wanting to incorporate them into my wardrobe, other times by a sense
that I have slightly lost my lack of fun.
So I have decided this week to have a skirt/dress week, and have planned some outfits to make that easy for the week.
options are purple, teal and navy, for in the week and maybe brown on
Friday. I may have to change bags again, and why not!
Do you like to give yourself challenges? What sort of things do you try?