Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 12 November 2012

New SWAP thoughts - Week and Weekend Blues?

I'm still letting SWAP percolate at the back of my mind.

I definitely want to do work week and weekend as my theme. And I want both a brown leather skirt and some sort of jeans in the weekend part, but the week part hasn't clicked for me yet. Since I definitely want a matching tailored suit with both trousers and skirt (and maybe an extra of a little waistcoat) I need a good amount of yardage. As yet I haven't found anything in the stash which says 'use me' plus is suitable and given the sheer volume of stash it seems imprudent to buy specifically for this contest when I have so much fabric already. I need 4 to 5 metres of suiting fabric, and it may be that actually I don't have that much of the right thing in my stash.

If I broke away from the matching suit idea and mixed a plain dark navy trouser with a navy based tweed jacket then maybe I'd be on to something. A skirt could then be either from the plain navy or the navy tweed depending on the remaining yardage. And I could probably wear that jacket with a lot more other bottoms in my wardrobe. I shall think on.

------------------------
[Ruthie rummages in stash]
------------------------
New plan emerges in various fabrics containing dark navy blue. (I realise this parks the brown leather skirt).

Above we have the fabrics for the working week. Draping over the edge of the ironing board you can see the navy and white flecked tweed fabric, this will be a jacket and the bridging piece between the two collections. There are two suiting fabrics to the left, one plain navy, the other a navy self stripe, these can both be tailored trousers, any leftovers from either of the trouser fabrics or the jacket fabric can be a skirt or if very limited then waistcoat fronts.
Tops are a navy and tan print knit, a silky bold print for a blouse and a fan print knit for another knit top.
 
Next we move into the weekend, the same tweed jacket still works, but now is paired with dark denim jeans or navy babycord trousers at right. Tops are more casual too, two different stripe knits, made into simple tees and a casual print cotton shirting.

Its all already in stash, it expands the navy already in my wardrobe and hopefully works with some existing work trousers also. All it needs is a name! Week and Weekend Blues?

7 comments:

Juliane said...

Oh, how I envy your fabric stash. This sounds like a good plan to me. Like the name, too. I'm looking forward to watching this wardrobe plan develop.

Janine said...

lovely fabrics - esp love the tweedy one.

Dixie said...

What fun, to be planning a swap. You're certainly far ahead in the game. These fabrics could make up a really nice wardrobe for work and weekend!

Sharon said...

Love the idea of these colours for you and that tweedy fabric for the jacket will work with so many other items.

sheila said...

What's not to like about blue!!!!! Yum, go for it!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, Have you checked MariaDenmark's new wide legged trouser pattern? When I saw that I immediately remembered you since I had read about your search for wide legged pants!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, Have you checked MariaDenmark's new wide legged trouser pattern? When I saw that I immediately remembered you since I had read about your search for wide legged pants!